Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
Phone: 619-858-3105 x 145
Joy. Peace. Success. Healthy, happy relationships. It takes guts to say to someone, “Could you help me get there?” In combining my background in biblical counseling with my work as a therapist, my goal in therapy is to draw out the heart, build hope, facilitate open, safe communication, and help provide practical, faith building, and real life tools for relational, emotional, mental, and spiritual change.
I am a doctor of marriage and family therapy, a certified sex therapist, and a certified chemical dependency counselor. Before becoming a therapist, I have had the joy of providing biblical counseling with couples, families, and individuals for the last 28 years. In therapy with married couples, I have worked with those who have wanted to renew the fire in their love life and sexual relationship as well as with others who are no longer communicating or have been on the brink of divorce. I have counseled couples that have experienced affairs, issues with intimacy, and the effects of pornography. I have also worked with couples that have had difficulties in their sexual relationship, such as low desire and arousal, erectile dysfunction, vaginal pain, premature ejaculation, and orgasmic dysfunction.
I have provided parent education for over 20 years in the community. In therapy, I have counseled parents on how to build a rewarding, close relationship with their children while maintaining clear boundaries. I have worked with children who have challenges with attention, impulse control, and anger as well as with adolescents who have challenges with depression, self-harm, eating disorders, anxiety, drugs and alcohol, and relationships. I have counseled individual men and women who have experienced trauma, depression, anxiety, grief, eating disorders, sexual abuse, and childhood and intimate partner violence.
I am also a certified counselor for Chemical Dependency. I have provided therapy for individuals and couples throughout the process of recovery.
Working through issues like these and others with couples, families, and individuals has given me a great respect and admiration for the amazing, resilient people I have had the privilege of helping.
Speaking and Groups
More Than Imagined!
– Group Marriage Intensive for enrichment or couples in crisis
The Intimate Marriage
– Group or Individual Couple Sex Therapy
– Smalley Intensive based on DNA of Relationships
Training Them in Love
– Parenting Classes and Workshops for birth through grade school
In His Image Workshop
– The Impact of Media and Body Image on Eating Disorders
– for women or mother/daughter
The Power of Parenting
– Preparing for the teen years
Recovery Support Groups
- MARITAL COUNSELING - conflict resolution, effective communication, sexual relationship, infidelity, unity, cultural differences, military deployment
- PRE-MARITAL COUNSELING (including Prepare/Enrich)
- SEX THERAPY – working with couples on sexual issues in their marriage from communication around sexuality to dysfunction
- INDIVIDUALS - depression, stress and anxiety, anger management, grief, sexual abuse, suicidal thoughts, mental illness
- ADDICTION AND RECOVERY - drug, alcohol, gambling, and sexual addictions
- FAMILY THERAPY - treatment with the whole family
- PARENT/CHILD RELATIONSHIP COUNSELING
- ADOLESCENT COUNSELING - school issues, divorce, depression, drugs and alcohol, relationship conflicts, eating disorders, self harm, suicidal thoughts, gangs
- PLAY THERAPY - school age beginning at age 3: ADHD, frustration tolerance, anger, trauma, conflict resolution
- MUSIC THERAPY - using music and instruments to help identify and express emotions
Education, Training, Experience, and Professional Affiliations
- BM in Musical Theater and Vocal PerformanceArizona State University, AZ
- MA in Marital and Family TherapyAlliant International University, San Diego, CA
- Professional Associate Member of the American Board of Christian Sex Therapists
- Post Graduate Courses in Music and Play Therapy
- Certified Chemical Dependency Counselor (Click Here)
- Certified Sex Therapist (Click Here)
- Specialized training in Love and Respect Intensive
- Trained in Emotion Focused Therapy
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT)
- Trained Facilitator for Dynamic Marriage
- Languages: Sign Language (Exact English/ASL)
- Ministry Work: Women’s Counselor Intern, Deaf Ministry, Teen and Preteen Ministry Leader
- Marriage and Family Therapist Trainee Palomar Family Counseling Service (AAMFT)
- California Licensed Marriage and Family therapist #MFC 60514