Ben K. Lim, Ph.D., LMFT
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
Phone: 619-858-3105 x152
Mission Valley and Chula Vista Office
Dr. Ben Lim is passionate about partnering with God and you in promoting your wholeness and psychological well-being (Matt. 11:28-30). He has been providing counseling to individuals, couples, and families for the past 30 years. He brings vast experience as a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in California (LMFT 46911), a Clinical Fellow and Approved Supervisor of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy and an Emeritus Professor of Marital and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling at Bethel Seminary San Diego (now Bethel University). He is also an adjunct professor at Point Loma National University and at the Malaysia Baptist Theological Seminary in Malaysia.
Dr. Ben is committed to train mental health professionals not only in the United States but also in the Pacific Rim. For many years, he led mental health mission teams to Taiwan to work with missionaries and pastors. Recently, he and his wife Dr. Sohleong Lim relocated for about two years in Malaysia, where he taught at the Malaysian Baptist Theological Seminary and trained counselors at the Overseas Chinese University in China. In addition to training therapists and counselors, Ben also teaches pastoral classes for ministers of the Gospel both locally and abroad. As an ordained minister, Rev. (Dr.) Ben Lim pastored for about 20 years in churches in Malaysia, Singapore, Texas and California.
Dr. Ben Lim is a relational systemic therapist and works with individuals, couples, and families both in church settings and private practice in the United States and in Asia. He specializes in premarital counseling, marriage enrichment, parenting, marital and family therapy, multi-cultural therapy, integrative spiritual-biopsychosocial development, pastoral self-care, member care of missionaries, crisis intervention and trauma response, grief and loss issues as well as other relational challenges.
Ben is trained in EMDR, Thought Field Therapy, Clinical Hypnosis and Emotionally Focused Therapy, which he incorporates in therapy to facilitate the healing process for clients facing challenges in developmental transitions and traumatic past experiences. He is Certified Trainer and Seminar Director for PREPARE ENRICH and has trained hundreds of facilitators in San Diego.
Ph.D. (Marriage and Family Therapy), Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX.
M.A. Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA.
B. Agric Science (Honors), University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Diploma in Theology, Discipleship Training Centre, Singapore.
Certificate in Counselling, Care & Counselling Center, Singapore.
Professional Speaking, Teaching and Writing
Dr. Ben Lim has presented at professional conferences of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), American Association of Christian Counseling (AACC), Christian Association for Psychological Studies (CAPS), National Association for Christian Counselors (Malaysia), Focus on the Family Malaysia and others. He also teaches and train counselors locally and in Asia such as Malaysia, Singapore, India, China, and Mongolia. Three of his most recent speaking engagements are
• Lim, B. & Lim S., (2019, April). Developing Cultural Competence in Counseling in a Multicultural Malaysia. An advanced one-day workshop with the National Association of Christian Counsellors, Malaysia.
• Lim, B. (2019, April). The Integration of Theology & Psychology: Implication for Theological Education. At Malaysia Baptist Theological Seminary, Penang, Malaysia. A plenary session for the Biennial Conference of the Malaysian Association of Theological Schools.
• Lim, B. & Lim, S. (2018, November). Developing and Maintaining Psychological Wellbeing & Self Care at Quanzhou Liming University, Quanzhou, China. A 3-hour training for faculty and counselors.
As an ordained minister, Rev. Ben Lim also preaches in different churches and speaks at conferences both locally and abroad. Some of his training and speaking topics include leadership and life skills, cultural competency training, assertive training, stress and conflict management, interpersonal communication skills, love, courtship & marriage, parenting, management training, peer/lay counseling, small group training and more.
Dr. Ben writes on the topics such as multiculturalism and integration of theology and psychology. His two most recent publications are
• Lim, B. (2019). The Integration of Theology & Psychology: Implication for Theological Education. MBTS Theological Journal Vol 5.1 (65th Anniversary Series), 1-29.
• Lim, SL. & Lim, B. (2016). Politically incorrect: Sense and sensibilities for culturally-astute supervision and training. In K. Hardy & T. Bobes, (Eds.), Culturally Sensitive Supervision and Training: Diverse Perspectives and Practical Applications. London, UK: Taylor & Francis/Routledge.
If you would like to contact Dr. Ben Lim for therapy, training, speaking, preaching, please leave a message at Center for Enriching Relationships (619) 858-3105 Ext 152 or email him at email@example.com.