Dr. G. Keith Olson
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
Family Counseling Service was established in 1971 as an expression of my desire to integrate the perspectives of psychology and my study of human relationships with God's word as it is revealed in the Bible. This was the first professional counseling center in San Diego to be established with evangelical Christianity as its basis. Many of the most fulfilling experiences in my more than 30 years of professional life have been in my relationships with clients and colleagues that I have been privileged to enjoy here at Family Counseling Service.
Notice Of Retirement
Please know that as of May 27, 2016, I will be retired from my private practice as a California licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT). Beginning in 1971 as an intern therapist, then licensed in 1973, the last 45 years have been filled with wonderful and enriching relationships with courageous clients, bright and quick-learning supervisees, deep and rewarding friendships with therapy colleagues. I am deeply grateful to each of you who have so enriched my life; my prayer is that your lives have been enriched by our relationship as well. Above all, I am thankful for God’s grace and love that have truly made it possible. I am convinced that without his daily blessing and protection, none of this would have been reality. We will move this June out of state to be with family.
Note, that as of May 27, 2016, the unassigned charts and records of clients who have worked with me in therapy, will automatically become the property of Family Counseling Services, Inc. (FCS), which corporate offices are located at 2525 Camino del Rio South, Suite 315, San Diego, CA 92108. FCS will be responsible for the safety and privacy of all such charts and records.
Certain clients, who are currently in therapy with me, have requested to be referred to appropriate therapists to continue their progress. In most cases, they are being given referrals to three appropriate sources of care. When such transfers take place on or before May 26, 2016, with signed authorization by the client, I will transfer their charts and records directly to the new therapist.
Please contact me with questions or concerns prior to May 26, 2016. I can be reached through this website by email and by phone at 619-280-3430x122. After May 26, please contact FCS directly at this website (fcssandiego.com) or by phone at 619-280-3430.
With sincerest gratitude,
G. Keith Olson, Ph.D.
During these years I have had the opportunity to work with a very wide range of people dealing with an equally wide range of issues. However, I have had the greatest amount of experience, and I believe expertise, with:
- Therapy with individual adults dealing with depression and anxiety
- Adults working with a wide range of ministry-related issues
- Marital therapy
- Individual and family therapy with adolescents
- Stepfamily adjustments
In addition to providing direct psychotherapy and marital and family counseling services, it has been my privilege to work to enhance personal, family and community health through professional speaking, teaching and writing.
I believe that at the core of all personal and relational problems is alienation which has plagued humankind since almost the dawn of creation. My therapy with individuals, couples, and families is based on the process of helping people to develop stronger connectedness (relationships with God, with each other, and with themselves, as well as with the whole of creation within which God has placed us).
Professional Speaking, Teaching and Writing:
- Speaking engagements include a wide range of topics for churches, schools, corporations and other organizations. These opportunities include local presentations, national conferences, association meetings, and invited international presentations in Europe, Africa and Asia.
- A wide variety of articles in journals and magazines
- Three published books (Counseling Teenagers, Why Teenagers Act the Way They Do, and What Makes Your Teenager Tick?)
- Contributions to several other books by different authors.
- A four-volume video series on Counseling Teenagers, a five-volume video series, Understanding Me/Understanding You
- Appearances in other video projects on parenting, pastoral counseling, and psychotherapy
Degrees and License:
- Ph.D. in counseling psychology from the University of Arizona (1972).
- BA in psychology from San Diego State University (1967)
- Licensed in the state of California since 1973 as a Marriage and Family Therapist. License #MFC 6022
- 1997 to present - Administrator and Lead Faculty of the M.A. program in Marital and Family Therapy at Bethel Seminary San Diego
- 1986 to 1997 - Associate Pastoral Care Faculty at Bethel Seminary San Diego
- 1973 to 1999 - Associate Psychology Faculty at Point Loma Nazarene University
- American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC)
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT)
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- Christian Association for Psychological Studies (CAPS)
- During the mid 1990s - a member and San Diego Chapter Officer of the National Speakers Association.